1. Can cross inter-cultural boundaries, seeing that we live in a globalised world where we encounter people from different countries
2. Involves explaining/writing things concisely
3. Leaves people a good impression of them (through their speech, dressing and mannerisms)
4. Can diffuse a tense situation while getting out unscathed. Well, mostly unscathed.
Unfortunately, I have a habit of putting my foot in my mouth or being verbose, often resulting in my friends misconstruing what I really want to express. As such, I often find myself having to reiterate what I said so that my friends understand what I am saying, as they do not immediately understand what I was trying to convey. Furthermore, I feel that my conversational skills (which includes listening) leave much to be desired. Sometimes, I really wonder if I'm having an actual conversation or a monologue during a 'conversation' with friends.
During my pre-university days, we often have to embark on projects. From these projects, I have learnt that different communication channels should be employed for different occasions.
Usually, if we did not meet up for discussions, we would send emails with instructions to each other on what to do. However, as these emails were lengthy and our peers do not check their emails very often, the message was not delivered properly.
Hence, this brings us to the importance of bringing 7Cs into the equation. I have to be clearer in expressing my ideas, be more succinct and be more polite. Furthermore, I have to be more aware of the psychological barriers to effective communication such as:
1. Whether the person is interested in what I'm saying or not/situation of the target audience
2. Fear or some other factors, resulting in the wrong choice of channel for communication.
During my pre-university days, we often have to embark on projects. From these projects, I have learnt that different communication channels should be employed for different occasions.
Usually, if we did not meet up for discussions, we would send emails with instructions to each other on what to do. However, as these emails were lengthy and our peers do not check their emails very often, the message was not delivered properly.
Hence, this brings us to the importance of bringing 7Cs into the equation. I have to be clearer in expressing my ideas, be more succinct and be more polite. Furthermore, I have to be more aware of the psychological barriers to effective communication such as:
1. Whether the person is interested in what I'm saying or not/situation of the target audience
2. Fear or some other factors, resulting in the wrong choice of channel for communication.
Currently, I am aspiring to be either a teacher or to be involved in a job that involves working with people often. Mainly because I'd rather not stare at a computer screen all the time and I think interacting with people from different walks of life will make my life much more interesting. Even though it's probably more stressful. On another tangent, I am planning to work during the term break.
If I were to do well in such jobs, or even to apply for a job, I would require good communication skills. Such skills involve explaining things in a clear approach without beating around the bush. Last but not least, getting pass the first barrier-the interview! I do not have much experience with interviews, so I'm hoping that I would be able to learn more about it-in the practical sense.
Of course, I'm not saying that effective communication skills are crucial only for the sake of performing well at school or work. Such skills would also do me much help pertaining to my relationship with my peers!
References: 9gag.com



Being able to communicate is what adds value to whatever other knowledge or skills you may bring to your job.
ReplyDeleteYou want to be "either a teacher or to be involved in a job that involves working with people often", that's quite a lot of choices to pick from! I think in the current work scene, a LOT of jobs involve "working with people often", there's no helping it. WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE!
ReplyDeleteDepending on your work field, the same content would have to be effectively transferred to different audience in different ways... i think that's the difficult part. We have all this knowledge pent-up and ready to be shared,but the receiver's not in the best position to receive all of it at one go, even if he/she's interested.
Since you're hoping to experience working with people from all walks of life, it'll be useful to learn how to adapt to different audiences based on the same content! This module may not be able to specifically target that but it's worth it to actively think "what if it's for a different audience" when going through the different aspects of the module!
Hi Ming Yan, I would gladly like to say that i share your sentiments with regards to my future career aspiration. I would love to work with people and have my work revolve around working for people. However, i would like to share my two cents' worth which is in sync with Iffah's.
ReplyDeleteHaving worked in a variety of jobs, i would like to share the fact that effective communications is a must regardless of the work you're doing. Briefly speaking, i've worked as a service staff, a tax officer and an administrator/translator and so on... However, regardless of the fact that some involved me being deskbound, i had to learn how to communicate well with my peers and the senior staff as well.
So i'd say if its possible, (unless your heart and mind is set out to be a teacher in future) to keep an open mind towards your career. :) Effective communications revolve around us everyday and everywhere! all the best! :)
Thank you for the advice! :)
Delete